Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Slippery Today

Well, last night I got me gear all ready for riding to work today. I woke up to 3 inches of snow. No big deal I thought.

Well, this was different snow than I have ever ridden in. It was the slickest commute I've done so far.

After shoveling the driveway and I jumped on the bike and headed out. Instantly I was saving myself from embarrassment as I barely recovered a wipe out in front of a bunch of kids waiting for the school bus. I slowed down and bit, and found myself slowing down several more times before I was at a speed that didn't lead to making snake trails in the snow. I've never ever ridden this way before. My front tire was left, right, left, right over and over. I don't know if there was a thin layer of ice under the snow, but it was fantastically slick.

Even these studded tires didn't stand a chance on this snow/ice.

Once I was on the main roads it was better, but still a few moments when I was surprised to still be up right.

When I got to work, I was glad the ride was over. Would I do it again you bet! Days like this I am temped just to fire up the old Chevy, but I always am glad that I didn't.

Ride yer bike!!

Jerome

No comments: