Friday, February 16, 2007

Lace em up!

This title applies to two portions of this post. First would be what most Canadian probably think of when they hear that phrase, Hockey! I went to the flames game last night (birthday present from my good wife) and what a great time that was. Unfortunately the flames lost 7-5 to Colorado, but it's always great to watch them play.

Second, might be what many cyclists think of when they hear that phrase. Wheels! More specifically, building wheels. I bought a wheel truing stand with some of my birthday money and decided it was time to learn how to build a wheel up. I took a wheel off of a free bike I picked up last week (it's going to be my fixie mtn bike), disassembled it, cleaned the spokes hub and rim. I had seen pictures of bikes that had twisted spokes and wanted to try that. I started out lacing it all twisted and got very confused. I started again lacing it with an easy 2-cross standard spoke pattern. After that, I figured out a way (my wife figured out a way) to twist them up. Anyway, here is what I ended up with. It's perfectly true, tight and I can't wait to see how it rides. I'm sure this wouldn't be something to do on a big hit bike, but for the commuting I do, strong wheels aren't of utmost importance. Looking good is.

No comments: