Monday, July 30, 2007

Rodeo

This past weekend was the Rockyford Lions Rodeo.

I didn't know what to expect from this weekend. Not the rodeo, but living on the same block at the rodeo grounds. I've been a long time fan of rodeo (oh, no) and usually get to one or two a year. For those who think that rodeos are terrible, cruel and all the rest, you're entitled to think that. I happen to know people doing it, and see the money they spend and the hours they spend with their animals. Saying that cowboys are mean to their animals is like saying old English ladies are mean to dogs by grooming their poodles and taking them to shows. Anyway, be not haten cause I like rodeo.

Being now a Lion, I was volunteering at the main entrance gate. Easy job. Nice to be able to interact with people.

What I wasn't sure about was the contestants sleeping across the street from me with their animals. I was glad it wasn't as I imagined it might be. Sure there are horses up and down all the streets by my house, stock trailers rolling by all the time, but it was kind of fun too. Seeing all the cowboys and cowgirls walking, washing, feed, grooming their horses. This is what I had outside my window all weekend long.
I took this picture while enjoying a moment in the sun with Bicycling magazine
Between the Rodeo and the project, it was a busy weekend. Sadly, no bikes. Boo hoo.

No comments: