Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Busy

Life is a bit crazy for me right now. Work is really heating up again, and with mi casa in progress, I'm finding myself needing every last minute of the day. Many times this means that I don't have the time for riding to work. An extra 2 hrs per day can really take away. I know it's a season, but I tend to think that if I want to do something, I need to be doing it now. Like riding to work.

It's very hard for me to say, next year I won't be so busy and will have more time for riding. I've found that very often those that put things off until next year or next month, seem to consistently do so. Over and over again. Myself included. If I want to do something, I've found that I need to be doing it now. Within reason of course.
Early morning starts is what it's been taking and will continue to take for me to maintain my prerogative to ride my bike to work as much as possible. I honestly don't do it for the environment, my health, or financial reasons. The one and only reason I ride my bike, is because I enjoy it. The other benefits of bike commuting are just a bonus to me.
The days when I ride my bike to work, there is a noticeable difference in the way I feel, the way I attack whatever tasks lay before me. So much more energy, and oddly, relaxation on the days when I ride in. I wouldn't have thought that I would be more alert after getting up and leaving an hour earlier every day, but I am. I'm more relaxed in front of the computer or on the phone. Somehow my body just feels, good all day. There is a sense of calmness about my whole person after I ride to work.

This is why I can't leave it until next year. Sure things might be busy now, but making time for doing what I truly enjoy, makes me more productive, and more satisfied with the state my life is in right now. Busy isn't necessarily a bad thing, but letting that keep you from what you know you should be and want to be doing is.
To quote Mark Rehder, "Ride yer bike."

No comments: