Monday, July 14, 2008

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.


Well, I’ve had this ole 2 stroke bike motor kicken around the garage for a few years and thought I might as well give it a go. I was cleaning out the garage last week and found a frame I’d been saving up in my rafters that I thought would be a perfect candidate for the little put put.


Mounted it all up and tried my darndest to get the thing to fire. No luck. I’ve rebuilt many many 2 stroke engines in my days, dirt bikes, weedwackers, you name it, and sure I could have given this one some love, but I don’t think it’s worth it anymore. If I had nothing to do and wanted to learn about these things, I might. I already know how to do it and how they work.


I was getting plenty of spark, but no gas into the cylinder. I think that the reed valve was stuck closed. Probably from this thing sitting around for 5 or so years. So, scratch that idea. Besides, why on earth would a cyclist want a motor on his bicycle anyway? Maybe a crazy cargo bike or something, but a 10 speed? Seems stupid to me. I’m glad it didn’t work. I think this bike might be better suited to build up as a fixed or SS for someone who needs one.

Use yer legs, ride yer bike!

2 comments:

sean marcel said...

Hey thanks man. I don't know about going fixed on the next ride, maybe I'll just have to keep going all the way to Rockyford instead!

Love the rack below. Nice build, I'm always hesitant about bolting the rack onto my fixie because it's kind of heavy and ugly, not sleek and simple like that. Keep up the creativity!

-sean.

Smudgemo said...

I'm still planning to bolt an electric motor to my Xtracycle.