Monday, October 05, 2009

First snow of the season

Yesterday it was snowing off an on all day. Hovering around the freezing mark, all of it was just melting. As I went to bed last night I was hoping some of it might just stick over night. On the off chance it would, I set the alarm to be up and early to catch the first snow ride of the season.

I wasn’t disappointed. About an inch was staying to the grass and gavel, while the roads were just wet.

I woke up Karate Monkey and started spinning the cranks. Headed through a construction site, which proved to be too muddy to be enjoyable. It took all I had to maintain forward motion, and I was just getting really really dirty. I road a highway to a gravel road, and enjoyed that for a while. A little canal path cruising and time to head home. Our garden hoses weren’t frozen, so I was able to give KM a shower, as well as my lower body before heading into the warmth.


I also took the Xtra to work for it’s shake-down run. I was pleasantly surprised that everything is dialed in! Even the ratchet shifting on my vintage Shimano “thumies” is working like it was new. I wasn’t sure if they would work well together or not (they’re from different bikes) but I am very impressed with how well it’s shifting. I still need a cable for the front derailleur, and for now I’ve just got the travel adjustment screws waxed out to hold it at the center chain ring. Works good enough for now.
I can’t believe I’ve had my Xtra out of commission for so long. After riding it today, and I am reminded of all of the stuff I’ve hauled on this bike. How did I get by without one? By driving my pickup truck too much that’s how. Anyone who is considering getting an Xtracycle, I more than highly recommend it. When you think that this bike will revolutionize your transportation life; you’ll be amazed at how it will blow even your highest expectations out of the water!

3 comments:

Doug said...

I'm so jealous of your snow. And I second your Xtracycle comments.

Easton Heights Blogger said...

snow, NOOOOO! it's TOO early! I don't have my SS together yet!

Hughie said...

I don't have my winter beater set up yet either, luckily we're just getting lots and lots of rain so far...yeah...lucky.
Taking and old Raleigh Ambush (4 year old Canadian Tire Bike) Putting new shifters (sunrace thumbies), new leavers, and a chromoly fork on it with some studded tires. Newfoundland has some pretty nasty winters and this is my first attempt at winter riding...we'll see how it goes. I'm going to make a post about the bike upgrade as soon as I get my parts. Going to give her a paint job too.