Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sometimes, you just need a ride in the country

It's been crazy busy for me lately. Work on the photography business, work on spring projects around the house, heck, I've even been busy with work on my bicycles. Busyness isn't always a good thing. Don't get me wrong, it's good to keep active and to be 'doing' things. Sometimes though, we can too easily let ourselves get too busy, so that we don't take the time to stop, reflect, and just enjoy simple pleasures that life gives us. They are always there, it is just too seldom that we actually stop and take notice.

Tonight, I was heading out for a ride after putting the kids to bed. Now, most nights, I'll grab the Karate Monkey, and roll it out, for some crank spinning, gravel grinding exercise styled riding. But tonight, tonight I wanted something different. I wanted to just slowly poke around the country side, listen to the birds, and smell the rain in the fields.
When I left home, it was lightly raining. I looked up, and pointed my bike in a direction that looked like to might not be raining quite so much. North. Not long after heading out of town, the rain was tapering off, and the sun was shining in the distance. That was my destination.
An incredible few moments were afforded to me. The sun broke through, the road dried up, and the wildlife was out enjoying the evening with me. I saw 13 deer, 9 hawks, 2 owls and hundreds of other smaller animals. A lone coyote wandering a nearby fence line. The red-winged black birds cranking out their song. The glory that we go whipping by in our cars everyday. Tonight, it was mine to enjoy. And I so did.


Life is Good.

2 comments:

Pondero said...

There ya go...

That's the way to do it, at least sometimes.

Apertome said...

Looks like a lovely ride! I'm glad you were able to get out.