Monday, September 20, 2010

Soon, the studs will be back on the bikes....


The weather we've had in Southern Alberta has been pretty terrible this summer. August was the only month so far this calendar year that we haven't had snow. We've had very few hot days, and my short-wearing days were less this year than I remember them being ever. After a terrible, cool, wet summer, it's hard to get excited about winter coming.

Until I remember how much fun winter cycling is. I almost think I prefer it to summer cycling. Everything about it is a little more epic. Lights, studded bike tires, careful wardrobe selection, and the fact that a perfectly flat and straight gravel road can turn into an almost impossible-to-ride trail with the slush and snow. Winter is harder on the bikes, and every ride pretty much requires an after ride wash-down, but it's a little funner. There's a greater feeling of achievement after a winter ride than a summer ride. Not that I don't love a nice warm ramble in the country on a hot summer day, stopping to take pictures and drink water while the birds and bugs sing around you. Those are great too, and I"m sure I'll be missing them come mid-January when I'm staring outside at -30 degrees.

I'm not sure why (and I think it's kind of sick) but, I'm pretty stoked for winter cycling to be coming around.

6 comments:

coastkid said...

i also prefer winter cycling...esp beach riding as the temperture is more stable unlike summer here which can be 8-24C...
everywhere is quieter too!,
im preying for snow again!

Pondero said...

I know you were talking about bicycling, but I really don't understand your comments about the weather. It all sounds like nonsense from here...:)

Doug said...

I'm looking forward to snow too. I'm building up an all new Cross Check for my wintery commutes complete with a new drive train, a Gates Carbon Drive system. It's gonna be cool! Just waiting for the painter to get done with the frame.

Jerome said...

Mr. Pondero, you are really missing out! Maybe you should plan a winter vacation this year and head somewhere cold for some riding!

Doug - sweet! I was curious about what you were up to the way you hinted at it on your blog. I'm quite interested to hear how the gates drive works for you! Great news!

Cheers.

Jon said...

Well, this stud has been on hias bike, all year!

I need to get my dedicated snow bike down from the hooks (fixed 29er mountain frame with 700x35 studded tires on one wheelset, 26x2.3 studded tires on the other, with disc brakes so I can swap wheel sizes as needed), and make sure everything is ready to go.

We are probably 3 weeks away from snow, here in Denver, if history is any guide.

Hughie said...

I'll be staying with the girlfriend for a month or two this winter, and she is only 6km away from school/work as opposed to my normal 18km commute.

I think I'll be picking up some Schwalbe Ice Spikers for my orange beater bike this year :)