Sunday, March 25, 2012

minimalism wins

the Long Haul Trucker is gone.

After several days after reconsidering my decision to sell the LHT, I reconsidered that decision.

It was somewhere between admiring the ample application of braze-ons, the spare spoke holders and the simple yet beautiful lugs on the front fork that I started thinking that I couldn't sell this bike. It was the next day that I got back to thinking how little I get to ride it. I thought to myself, "I'll just go on more rides. I'll make time to get out on the bike more than I do now."

If I'm honest with myself, I won't be able to get out any more than I do now. And with a new baby on the way (guess I hadn't shared that news here yet) life will be even more busy. And not in a bad way. I'd rather hang with my kids and wife than spend an afternoon by myself on a bike. I do love riding, but the stage my life is at offers better things that won't last for long. Being with my kids. Spending time in the garage with them, playing hockey with them, having tea with my little girl and shooting bows and guns with my sons. These things are things that I won't always be able to do, and I'd hate to miss this opportunity that I only have right now. The stage I'm at in life isn't a stage for epic bike trips, or hours spent grinding gravel. I do love spinning the cranks, seeing some new town or getting lost on a quiet country back road (and on a small scale live vicariously though those who do these trips), they are just not in season for me right now.

So, I stripped down the trucker, put it back to stock, and sent it off to a new home. I'm quite happy with the sale too. I sold it to a young man who is planning a 6 week cycling trip with his dad through Quebec. It's between his graduating law school and when he has to begin articling. It'll serve him well, and a father and son doing a tour together, that's just cool.


8 comments:

Jon said...

First off: Congratulations to you and your lovely wife!

The weather has turned really nice, here in Denver, and the Spring cycling season is upon us, about a month early. That means that more of my bikes are going on the chopping block, now that demand is up. You are an inspiration to me, on that front.

BTW: I looked at Make Life Well, the other day. The blog appears to have been hijacked...

Jerome said...

Thanks Jon!

I hope it goes well as you narrow down the fleet.

And yeah, I never renewed the Make Life Well domain (minimalism and all) and someone else snatched it up. Not hijacked, just looks that way:)

Jon said...

Well, I removed it from my blog list. I wasn't particularly interested in the new version...

Oh, I finally got a new camera (I will post about it on the blog, soon). Is it okay with you if I pass yours along to someone else, or would you like it back? Minimalism, y'know... ;-)

Jerome said...

by all means, pass it along to someone else. it'll be the gift that keeps on giving:)

DerrickP said...

Well, congrats on the new baby, man!

And as hard as it was to read that you let the Trucker go, I completely get it. I would love an LHT, but I have no use for a touring rig. I'm a day tripper at best. Life with four kids means my riding is limited to short trips. So the LHT must wait for... a graduation or two, maybe?

Pondero said...

Congratulations!

You are choosing wisely. I sold a bike when my kids were very young, and probably started back into too much time training before I should have.

It is inspiring to see someone else man up and be a father.

Jerome said...

Thanks Derrick. Yeah I suppose a graduation or two would change the situation a bit:)

Jerome said...

Thanks Chris, I really appreciate the encouragement.