Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Fixie Project Bike


Here is a picture of a bike that I am going to turn into a fixed gear bicycle. A fixed gear bike is a bike that has no free-wheel hub on the back wheel, so if the back wheel is moving, your pedals will be moving. You can't coast on a fixie.

I think that I am going to go hardcore and run a brakeless bike. I can always resist the forward motion of the pedals to slow down and stop.

Making a fixed gear bike can be done for not much money. The most expensive part of my project is going to be the rear wheel with a fixed gear hub. There are cheaper ways to get around this, but this is the safest and the best. Also, the hub that I am going to use is a flip-flop meaning that on side of the hub is fixed to the wheel, and the other has a single free-wheel sprocket and can be changed by simply flipping the wheel around.

I'll keep you posted on the progress and some of the parts that I am finding for this project.

Cheers,

Jerome

No comments: