Friday, November 24, 2006

It is Cold!

Well, the tires work great, but it is very cold outside.

I was heading home for lunch, into the wind which was coming from the North. I checked the local weather before I left and they said that it was -17C out and with the windchill, it feels like -28C. At to that I am riding into the wind and you could say it was a little nippy. The only part that gets cold though are my fingers and toes. Still, I'm finding it such a blast to be riding in the winter! Some of the cars driving by look at you like your crazy. I don't think that's true, I think that it just that they are confined to the belief that you need to drive a car if you live in this part of the world. I certainly am not against cars, I've a truck, a mini-van and a 1965 rambler marlin of my own and really like them all. I just think that it is important to evaluate whether or not you can find alternative transportation some of the time. I only ride 3 miles to work and back twice a day. I don't have to carry much, so why wouldn't I ride a bike.?

A friend of mine once put it like this. Your car weighs 2500lbs, you weight 179lbs, how much of the gas you are using is going to transport you and how much of it is going to transport your car. Around 5% of they fuel your buying goes to transport yourself based on the above numbers. Essentially, you are paying to move your car from place to place. Interesting way to look at it.

Cheers,

Jerome

No comments: