Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Ice

Well, yesterday I had to go to Regina again for a meeting. At least it was just a fly in at 11 and fly out at 3 type of a thing. I can't say I'd ever really want to spend too much time there. But anyway, I obviously didn't ride my bike yesterday.

This morning I got up early and went for the first run of my training for my 4th marathon. Full marathon that is. I have a thing for people who run a half and think it's the same thing. I also hate it how some people think that watching the Brady bunch all day long somehow deserves the term Marathon. A Marathon is a 26.2 mile foot race. That's it, that's all. Those of you who have done one before probably understand how I feel. Those of you who haven't, you don't have the right call any other activity, regardless of how hard you think it is, a Marathon. It's not the grandest or greatest feats, it's done by many people now and getting ever popular. But, it is not easy and it does take effort and mental toughness that few activities I've ever participated in do.

Anyway, that is a rant that I was not planning on. What I was trying to get at, and now will, is that when I was running this morning, the roads, bike paths and side walks were pure ice and I mean clear, smooth ice. Yesterday while I was in Regina with -15C, my home town was enjoying +8C degree weather. Snow melted and started to run off of driveways and onto roads and sidewalks. It dipped to around freezing overnight, and I could well have skated to work.

All that to say that I didn't ride my bike to work today.

No comments: