Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Snow Bike for Sale

UPDATE: The Bike was sold to a great local bike guy, Mike!


Yes, it’s true, I’m going to sell my newly acquired snow beast. Why? Read below.

When I bought this bike, I had visions of crisp winter afternoons, bright sun, exploring irrigation canals while the sweet sound of fresh snow mumbles beneath my wheels. I even had the odd thought of a few day trips sprinkled throughout the cold season. Just get on the bike, with a little stove, some water and time. Ride the gravel or canals or even an old abandoned railroad track to somewhere. No place in particular. Just go for the sake of being somewhere and seeing something that I’ve never see experienced before. Sometimes seeing something 10 miles from your house that you’ve never seen before can be refreshing. It is.

Now, I am a realist and a dreamer. The dreamer in me has been oogling this large tired contraptions for several years. Asking questions to those who have them, reading their posts, and searching out all I could on these bikes. It was during one of those dreamy eyed-searches that I came across my bike. It was for sale, and I bought it. I’ve ridden it a bit, mostly on camping trips, the odd beer run and while towing my boys in the trailer. They do like the bike. In fact it’s their favorite bike. It’s one of mine.

But….

Oh, I hate that part. I started running the numbers and got back in touch with the realist side of me. Truth be told, I don’t have too many Sunday afternoons in the winter that I have nothing going on. Those that do come up, or taken right now with my Marathon training. In reality, I might get out once this winter for a ride longer than ½ hour on my snow bike. In the summer, I’m outside more, but it’s either doing house work, or walking or hiking with my family. I’d love the idea of doing an epic trip like the lost coast boys did, and their bikes are similar to mine. Single speed, large tire, go anywhere machines.

Since a trip like that isn’t on my radar screen, and winter cycling will be second to winter running and playing hockey, I figured that I might get 10 hours on this bike in the next year. Is it worth keeping a bike that you really like, and is one of your favorites for 10 hours of riding a year? I don’t think so.

If it doesn’t sell, that’ll be my answer. I’m not pricing it like I don’t want it to sell, but if there is someone out there who has been looking to build up a snow bike, this is a cheap way to get there. That’s why I bought it in the first place.

I’m selling the bike for $600
Phil hubs front and rear (rear is a double fixed, but I’m running a freewheel on it)
Large Marge Rims of course
Pugsley front fork
Kona modified frame
Everything else standard decent bike stuff

More pictures can be found here.

If you are interested, leave a comment or email me.

Cheers.

No comments: