Monday, February 16, 2009

Xtracycle De-commissioned

I've been searching for a frame with which to re-build up my Xtracycle for sometime now. It seems that finding decent steel MTB frames in size large is a very difficult task. Last Fall my drive train finally gave out on the existing build, and it has been sitting in my garage ever since. It was about 10 years old, so it has held together quite well. I have the new drive train, and pretty much every single other component to re-do the Xtra on, but I wasn't prepared to stick it all onto a frame that is way too small for me. I'm very excited about all of the components that I've gathered for the next build, but I just can't seem to locate a decent frame. I don't want to go out a buy a brand new one, so I'll just have to keep waiting for the right used one to come along. I'm sure that some time during this summer, I'll find a great one for free at the local recycling yard, I seem to find several decent ones every year. For now, I must simply wait. Being a new cheap bastard, I don't want to dole out more than $100 for a frame.

When I re-do the Xtra, I want something that is a little more capable of some longer distances. Particularly the 26 mile each way commute to work. I'll be switching between mustache and a few different drop bars to see which I prefer, but the key ingredient, as with any bike......a frame that fits well. All the parts now relocated to the rafters of the garage. It's a shame that frame is way too small for me. It's a Trek Antelope 920, and I really like it. Maybe I'll bring it back as a MTB for my wife.

No comments: