Thursday, October 08, 2009

Photogs love Xtracycles.....

This morning I woke early, to try a few shots I'd been thinking about. The Xtracycle is the perfect vehicle for this. When I arrived at the place where I wanted to do the photos (it was outside) I was already in the environment. I was already familiar with the location. I imagined what it would have been like if I drove a vehicle, and then opened the door and stepped out into the cold morning air.
Somehow, I feel like I had an advantage this morning. Kind of hard to put a finger on it, but you can hear everything, you’re far more aware of what’s going on (if anything) at the location, and you make much less noise getting there, so as to not disturb any animals or other people there.
Xtracycles and photography mix very nicely.

Theses were some long exposures that I wanted to try. I was trying to make myself look like a ghost. I even hauled that old prop suitcase in my Xtra. These were simply edited for color in lightroom. No photoshop trickery. It's amazing what can be done when you use full control of the camera.

The shot of the Xtracyce was a 30 second exposure. I took of my planet bike 1W LED head light and used it to "light paint" the work Xtra. Took a few tries, as I was facing the camera and had to write it backwards in the air. I covered it up in the palm of my had while switching between motions. It's so weird to think that I was in front of the camera, writing Xtra in the air with a flashlight, and you can't see me at all. Long exposures are fun! You should try them.

2 comments:

Pondero said...

Excellent! and entertaining...

Doug said...

Very cool stuff!!! I should figure out what my camera can do. All I do right now is point and shoot. I know it can do a lot more than that.