Monday, November 15, 2010

Eagle Lake

This morning I got back into the early morning routine again. After a few days in Montana, and then a Joe McNally 2day photography seminar, it was time to get back to work. 4:30am, down to the computer to work on pictures.

This morning all the cylinders were firing at 100% and I was able to bang out a whole lot of my to-do list before most people were even out of bed. As a reward, I gave myself a nice mid morning 10 mile bike ride. Being mid November, and the fact that we have no snow yet, I figured I had better get out there and enjoy the warm weather while it lasts. And by 'while it lasts', I mean today. We have a winter storm warning for tonight. Up to 10cm of snow expected.

I decided to head out on a ride that I hand't done in full for a year or so. Eagle Lake. There is a great little double track gravel path all the way, and, it crosses over the river too. I did a fashion shoot on the other side of the lake this summer, and wanted to kind of figure out the geography of the entire lake. I went as far as the crossing and then turned around. Here are some pictures of the trip.

Rode the bike paths out of town
found this location that might be good for a photo-shoot
the start of the path to eagle lake
all along the trail there are picnic tables. kind of nice

rear fender on for the mud. I was surprised how much of a difference this made
here is where the trail crosses the lake
even 5 miles out with no vehicle access, punks do their thing
I rode about a 1/4 of the way across, just to check it out
a thin layer of ice has started to form
go anywhere do anything friend
On the way back there was a fork in the road, this way dead ended
back on the right path, on the way home
Mid morning rides area always sweet. Somehow it feel like I'm getting away with something.

Cheers.

3 comments:

Apertome said...

Lovely photos. I have the same fender for my MTB, and it works pretty well for me, too.

When I worked from home full-time, I always felt like I was getting away with something too when I went for a ride during business hours -- to the extent that I actually felt guilty about it, even when all my work was done. Sort of a bummer.

I can't believe how quickly winter is approaching. We have fairly mild winters here, but still ...

Pondero said...

Getting away with something?

Yeah, like enjoying the benefits of advance planning, sacrifice, and hard work. Maybe a few more of us should try that.

Doug said...

I need to be my own boss. I'd never feel guilty about getting in a mid-morning ride.