Saturday, December 18, 2010

Good Decisions

We lead busy lives. Too busy I'm convinced. It seams that these days, it's so easy to get wrapped up in this, be a part of that and get involved in all manner of things. Good things, things that are on their own just fine. It's up to us, though, to keep these things in check. There are always going to be groups, organizations and people that need as much of you as you can possibly give. Sometimes you just need to say no.

Today we did that. First was hockey practice with a 7:30 am ice time. Both of my boys are on the same team, and I'm one of the coaches. We opted not to go today. Yesterday I was asked to shoot a few assignments for our local paper. I said no. I turned down photography for Friday night, Saturday and some on Sunday too. Our family needed something different than the typical business that weekends can bring.

Instead of all these things, we decided to take a family day. We all slept in, and then we snuggled in bed for a half an hour. All five of us. We slowly started to cook a big breakfast. As a family. Everything happened at a relaxed pace, nothing hurried. We laughed, we all helped out, we all ate at the same time at the same table. The only thing that was important was that we were together, eating and enjoying just being a family.



I think it's good to be involved in stuff, and I do feel that when you commit to something, it is important to show up. But every now and then, there comes a time when the best thing you can do, is step back. Even if only for a weekend.

I hope yours is great!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Jeremy!

Jerome said...

Thanks Jenn :)

Pondero said...

Wow! That's AWESOME!

I didn't know that was even possible.

Apertome said...

Yeah, sometimes you need a breather, and a chance to focus on what really matters. Well done, creating that opportunity for yourself!