Friday, March 09, 2007

It's the little things

In life, far too many little pleasures go unnoticed by most of us. Myself included. One great things about being outside, whether riding a bike, running and even just walking, is that it's a lot more difficult not to notice the simple things that make life so great. I've never not notice a beautiful sunrise, or the way a field looks when rain is coming down over it when your riding or running by. Yesterday morning riding to work I could hear coyotes howling in the distance. It seems to be that when your in a car you're sealed off from the amazing creation that surrounds us.


I was talking with a co-worker saying how great it is that the roads are completely dry now, and a fendered bike is optional. She didn't even notice that most all of the snow is gone and the streets are completely dry. It's one of the first things I notice every time I jump on my bike.


Speaking of great riding conditions, this week I haven't ridden my bike every single day. That'll total up to 60 miles I've ridden this week, and 60 miles that I wasn't sealed off from the world in my truck. Every day this week I've gotten to work with a huge smile and just charged, because I've taken advantage of the opportunity to get outside for a bit. I can't understand why other people are not doing this. I suppose that for most of my commute I ride past fields and only come to one lighted intersection, but even when I cut through 'down-town' it's cool to see the shop owners opening up, putting out their signs, waving at them and saying good morning.

I've been told by 3 of my co-workers that when it gets warmer, they are going to start riding their bike to work every day. I've offered to do any maintenance they might need done and even completely built up a bike for my buddy Brendan. I think that if they do actually start riding every day, there will be a whole new level of energy in the lunch room ever morning while we get our morning coffee. I sure hope they do start riding their bikes! Who knows, we might even need a bike rack!


Jerome.

No comments: