Tuesday, March 13, 2007

On the Road

Well, travelling anyway. I'm in Mobile Alabama right now and it's been a long and boring day. With the exception on my layover in Phoenix. The company that I work for has about 18 employees in PHX (we do the entire baggage handling contract for Southwest airlines Phoenix operation) and I was great to meet up with them again. I've been working in the airline baggage industry for almost 10 years now(all with the same company), and it always amazes me to see what a large system looks like. I'm in Mobile for some meetings on a project where we're replacing the entire ticket counter conveyor systems (the whole airport will be G&S conveyor!!!!!) and even this is such a simple piddly system compared to what is going on in PHX. I was a little miffed at myself, because the PHX manager met me, took me for a tour of the baggage system, and I left my camera in his office! It is crazy to see the conveyors that are running under the gate area like pasta bowl. Even for people who don't get excited about baggage conveyors (most everyone I meet) it would be wild to see the bags rocketing through that station. One of the gents that works in PHX is going to try and put a little production together to show the magnitude of the system that we maintain here. If he does, I'll be sure to post the video here.

Anyway, this post obviously has nothing to do with bikes, but whatever. What else is there to do when you travel 16 hours, take some measurements, meet some people and fly back the next day?

No comments: