Monday, June 23, 2008

Great, wasteful Coffee


I bought my wife a Keurig B70 single cup brewer for her Birthday. My dad bought one a while ago and every time I was in his office, he'd brew me a cup. Man is that coffee fine!

I was going back and forth about the purchase, as I think they waste it produces is huge. I was trying to find my wife a really good tea pot so she could steep her loose teas, but the city of Calgary led me to one dead end search after another. I gave up and decided she should have the B70.

They've got a nice assortment of all kinds of beverages, my wife being interested in the teas, and a side benefit for me, the coffee. Starting the day with a cup of Jet Fuel, by the coffee people is uber great. I just hate the fact that you throw away the K-cup after each cup. Seems incredibly wasteful to me.

We also bought a re-usable filter cup that works with the B70, so I think I might try some Kick Ass Coffee in there. Sad addiction when you can't seem to give it up, in spite of the fact that you think it's creating way too much waste. Need, coffee.

4 comments:

Vik said...

http://www.rarifiedonline.com/

Has some nice Bodum tea pots for loose teas. I have been using one for the past 4 years and I've kinda got my eye on a new Bodum tea pot for brewing smaller quantities of tea.

Jerome said...

yeah thanks Vik. Good to hear from you. I hope your trip is going well! I'm assuming you're on the road? Cheers.

Vik said...

Hey Jeremy,

I just got back from SoCal and I'll be around for a couple weeks until I head to the arctic mid-July.

Anonymous said...

Jerome,

Thanks for your comments about the Keurig system.

We do understand that the impact of the K-Cup waste stream is one of our most significant environmental challenges.

We address this issue in detail on our website at:
http://www.greenmountaincoffee.com/ContentPage.aspx?Name=bbw-pe-sustainable-packaging&DeptName=BBW-Protecting-The-Environment

We'll keep this site updated as we make progress on this issue. In the meantime, we hope you continue to enjoy the quality of the coffee!